Jose’s Flite Mobility Blog
Jose Cubillo works for IPG Mediabrands Madrid, and has spent 3 months working in the London office.
I would like to share with all of you my personal experience so far, as a Spanish boy living in London for 3 months.
I arrived “finally” to London in August, and I say finally because the mobility should have started at the beginning of this year; however, an unfortunate injury playing football in February delayed my stay.
Several months later, and completely recovered, I can say that to live abroad in London has been an excellent personal experience. I mean in these few weeks I’ve had the opportunity to discover London in another way. I have been to London several times before as a tourist and for work, but only for a maximum of 3-4 days.
However, I think that London is completely different if you have the opportunity to live and work in the city at least for a short period. So far, I have done several things that I have not been able to do before, such as:
– The opportunity to connect with the Reprise and IPG Mediabrands employees that work here in the London office, and discover a very good atmosphere and share different perspectives of the work, marketing and life in general. And, the famous after work drinks and bar nights!
– Enjoying the London weather, which is a lot better that the people think. The city is amazing in the sunshine!
– Discovering some “local” food, by which I mean to taste food from other countries. London is a great city for the opportunity to discover food around the world.
– Walking the streets and discovering new corners, shops, parks, pubs and restaurants.
– Attending a Premier League match, I’m a football lover!
This second part is focused on the professional side, I mean, how it has been like to work in a new country.
I would like to say, that in my case, the experience of working in London has been very fruitful so far. I’m taking advantage of the opportunities that come with working in a country like UK. I think that the UK is currently on of the most advanced countries in the world in terms of digital marketing.
Reprise UK is roughly 10 times bigger than Reprise Spain, and are working with big and international brands, and are involved in many innovative projects. This is one of the main difference between my home country (Spain) and my host country (UK).
Since my first day here, I’ve been discovering new things and other ways of working between the different departments. Here, there is a more complex structure and specialists focus only on one specific area with a very high level of detail. This level of detail and knowledge is very important to give the best client support, and to help them to achieve their objectives.
During these few weeks in London, I’ve been able to learn about new tools and methodologies used in the Reprise network, which has been very important for me as this can be developed easily in my country after my stay here, and exported to our clients and projects.
Talking about the people that work here, I would like to say that the UK office environment is very nice, international and multi-cultural. This peculiarity is very positive in opening up your mind and learning about a different POV.
Finally, I would like to thanks again to IPG Mediabrands for giving me this opportunity, and particularly to the EMEA team: Charlie, Rowan, Jason, Sergio and Marion for all their support throughout my stay here.